Saturday, May 10, 2014

Intro to Brazilian Food

The Brazilian diet is even more disgusting than the American diet. I have consumed more sugar and fat here in Brazil than I have in the last 2 years combined. However, I am so incredibly active that the food does not seem to have an immediate negative effect on my body. I walk somewhere between 5 and 10 miles on the average day. In the States, I spend almost all of my time sitting on a box inside of a box looking at a box.

For breakfast, Brazilians typically eat just bread and butter with coffee. A special breakfast (what is typically given to tourists in hotels or hostels) would also include fruit, cheese, ham and possibly coffee cake.

Lunch is typically the biggest meal of the day here. Both lunch and dinner include rice and beans (ALWAYS), some type of meat (chicken, beef, pork or fish) and a vegetable or salad of some sort.

There are great restaurants here, but most are pricey. Nothing here is targeted towards middle class consumers, because a middle class hardly exists. In the states, it is pretty simple to fill up for 10-15 dollars. Here, you either eat at home or pay the equivalent of 20-30 dollars to eat out. Restaurants are always packed with tourists and a few elite Brazilians, but the majority of citizens do not consider eating out as part of their life.

One way to really get your money's worth is to go to a Rodizio restaurant, the famous all-you-can-eat Brazilian style restaurant where waiters bring around endless amounts of food to your table. The most common Rodizio style joints are churrasco (BBQ), sushi and pizza. Back during Carnaval, I went to a sushi rodizio with several German guys who are all bigger than me. The restaurant hated us.

No comments:

Post a Comment