Friday, May 23, 2014

The End is Near

I only have 5 weeks left in Brazil!!! How did that happen? The last two or three weeks have been hectic. I have been making every effort to try something new each day, mostly using suggestions from my handy Lonely Planet book (they should thank me for free advertising).

My weekends in Rio are quickly coming to an end. Tonight I will travel to Arraial do Cabo, one of the world's most beautiful beaches, for the weekend with some friends. A group of Brazilians are friends with my friend's friend, and they have offered to let several of us stay in their house for the weekend. Brazilian hospitality is quite strange. It is often the case that they will not do anything with you unless they perceive they will gain something from the interaction. Other times, they are extremely nice and generous.

Next weekend I am flying to IguaƧu, and the weekend after that I have tentative plans with some Brazilian friends to go to some unknown location and stay in somebody's house yet again. The World Cup will start shortly thereafter. I have two USC friends coming down for the first week of the Cup that I am excited to babysit. By the time they leave, I will have less than 10 days until I board the plane to head back to the U.S.

It is such a weird feeling to be able to clearly envision the rest of my experience here. I feel as though I spent the first 2 months full of wonder and mystery not knowing what memories I would carry home with me. Then I spent about 6 weeks living completely in the present. Today, it is as if I have been slapped in the face with the end.

Here's to making the most of the last 5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment