Monday, February 10, 2014

First Impressions

During my first week in Rio, my emotions have ranged from excitement to fear to culture shock to flat-out fatigue. Let me organize some thoughts for you so you can hunt-and-peck and read what you want. Then, I'll hopefully be able to post some eye candy from one of the most naturally beautiful areas in the world.

LANGUAGE:

While I came into the trip thinking I would completely lose my french skills, I have actually used more french than portuguese since arrival. A lot of the international students are french, so I have befriended a few and thus had the opportunity to practice french. For any type of store transaction or question asked on the streets, I do rely on portuguese. People here don't immediately speak english when they hear your accent like they do in some other parts of the world. My top priority for this next week is to make friends with a few brazilians. With classes not starting until today, I have not had the chance to interact with many local students. Hopefully that changes!

TIME:

One of the most obvious differences between Brazil and the U.S. is the perception of time. At orientation, we were told that "official time" and "social time" were two completely different things in Brazil; so far, I'm not sure I agree. It seems as though EVERYTHING, whether a social gathering or an official meeting, starts late. The same sense of urgency and drive for efficiency that we have in the States does not exist here. It is not necessarily a good or a bad thing, just an observation. 

HOMESTAY:

I essentially live on top of a mountain (but not a favela, it is a very safe and beautiful gated neighborhood). I have a host mother who has spent half of her life in Brazil and half in France, so I communicate with her in both portuguese and french. I have three roommates which has given me some immediate friends. They are from Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Germany. Overall my homestay has been a positive experience. The interesting thing I have noticed in many buildings, not just my house, is the lack of space compared to facilities in the United States. Bathroom stalls are tiny, as are desks in classrooms and offices. People are extremely cautious about wasting anything, whether it is space, food or a natural resource.

I'll post some pictures hopefully later today!  


No comments:

Post a Comment