Sunday, February 16, 2014

Frustrations

By far the most frustrating aspect of getting settled has been my attempt to acquire a phone. Most of the other international students simply bought a local sim card and have a pre-paid phone plan with whatever cell phone they use back home. I have visited probably 12 different stores in an attempt to accomplish the same thing, but I have had a different problem everywhere I go. Since I use an iPhone 5, I need a special kind of sim card that took me a while to acquire. Now that I have it, I cannot seem to "unlock" my phone. Tomorrow I will attempt to buy a very cheap phone and use that instead. Apple products are worth about 3X as much in Brazil as they are in the states, and they say having an iPhone 5 on you is the best way to get jumped. It is probably for the best that I will be leaving my iPhone safely in my room for the duration of my semester. Also, visiting all the stores has been great portuguese practice for me.

In addition to the phone issue, life here is expensive! Transportation and food costs have been tough to swallow at times, not to mention the night life!

No comments:

Post a Comment