Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pre-Carnaval

The funny thing about blogging from another country is that each day I feel my English get worse and worse. I am always thinking in Portuguese (or French), so I am throwing eloquent English out the window. By the end of my journey this blog will be merely baby-talk.

Anyway

Everyone knows about Carnaval in Rio: the biggest party in the world! This party lasts even longer than the week designated for it. In fact, it began over a week ago even though it is not supposed to start until this Friday.

During the weeks leading up to Carnaval, parties can be found everywhere in Rio. They are called Blocos, and they are a blast! Some people dress up, but many just wear standard street clothes. Everyone dances and sings in the streets and drinks plenty of cervejas, caipirinhas and of course, agua.

Sunshine, alcohol, and a dense population full of beautiful people are a recipe for not only fun, but some violence as well. On Sunday, I was taking a bus to watch a samba rehearsal at Sambodromo (that's the big famous strip that people parade through in crazy costumes). A group of young people in the back of the bus seemed to be having a great time. Next thing I know, I hear a girl shriek and a couple of guys yell at each other. A fight started between 4 or 5 guys and quickly made its way to the front of the bus. I few punches were thrown, and fewer were landed. The bus driver pulled over as soon as possible, and the guys got off and chased each other. In the end, it is nothing but a good story for me to tell.

If you are coming to Rio anytime soon, use common sense. Don't speak English really loudly and don't flaunt your iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment