Friday, February 21, 2014

Stress

Adapting to a new environment is like temporarily lowering oneself on Maslow´s hierarchy of human needs. I mean that in the best way possible. Let me explain by contrasting what gives me stress at home vs. here:


AT HOME:

How will I make time to write that essay?
Am I ready to facilitate that meeting at work tomorrow?
Can I make it from work to class in exactly 25 minutes and grab lunch in between?
Will I be able to manage 4 classes and 3 meetings in one day?
What do I need to do to make myself a better leader on campus?
Should I pursue X career or Y?
Would my time be better spent chatting with my professor or attending a guest speaker?
If I stay up late to finish my homework, will I be able to give an effective campus tour in the morning?
Where do I stand on current events, social problems, etc?


ABROAD:

What will I eat for dinner?
How can I walk in such a way that will not make me sweat through my clothes?
If I do X, will I offend my host family?
Where can I go to the bathroom?
How can I ask where the bathroom is in the best Portuguese accent?
If I eat that will it make me sick?
Where can I find a cold water fountain?
Am I drinking enough water?
What should I do about my newly acquired sunburn?
Where can I buy dental floss?
What bus do I take to get home?
Should I go take my cold shower or stay dirty?
Which shoes should I wear to protect the blisters on my feet?

The "adaptation" phase I am currently going through is quite interesting. It is as if I have to re-learn how to take care of my basic necessities that have been second-nature for years. This may sound like a negative process, but it is really refreshing. It illuminates the pettiness of my daily U.S. grind. I am always the first to advocate for "getting out of your comfort zone." The more often I do that, the better I will become at adapting. Even if I live nos Estados Unidos for the rest of my life, the ability to evolve, readjust and even camouflage will prove invaluable.

Eu poderia estar em qualquer lugar, mas estou aqui.

No comments:

Post a Comment